Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Third Trimester, The Dentist & The Birthday

I'm 24 weeks and officially in the 3rd trimester. Yay!  However the last few weeks have been rather rough.

Two weeks ago a crown on my bottom left became loose. It drove me nuts! Finally it broke off and I had an appointment scheduled to remove the tooth...in September, over a month away!  It had a rough edge and thankfully the dentist filed it down. In the meantime, I had to eat on the right side of my mouth where I also have a broken lower jaw tooth. It can't be filled or pulled with regular Novocaine.  I have to be put to sleep by an oral surgeon. This is not possible while pregnant. 

So, due to the broken crown, I ate on the right side down too with a broken tooth.  Total mess. Then last week I started getting an earache on the right and my right tooth hurt too. Bad. Really bad. I went to the minute clinic and was calling my ob after hours bad. Sinus infection and worse on the right. Antibiotic and nada for pain. 

Until my ob called back. 

He said ibuprofen was safe during the 2nd trimester only, which meant I could have it until Sunday. 

I could hear angels singing praise. 

The dentist got me an earlier appointment to have the broken crown pulled. Yesterday. I was relieved and terrified all the same. It was a nightmare to get it out. He had to cut it into 2 pieces by the roots and pull each one. Apparently the tooth under the crown had been bad for some time and I never knew it. It kept breaking as he tried to pull it.  An hour later it was out, but I wasn't so sure I didn't have a broken jaw!!

Interesting fact about dental work when pregnant: you can't have the regular Novocaine.  You know, the kind that leaves you numb for several hours.  The kind safe and approved for me lasted only about 45 minutes. Which meant by the time we made the 45 minute drive back home, sat in line at the pharmacy another 45 minutes, I thought I was dying.  It seriously felt like I had been in a boxing match and lost. 

At home, I let the approved pain medicine start to work and used cold ice packs. The downfall: the medicine kept me WIDE awake.  I was so sure that today would be horrible. 

Thankfully, today, my birthday, has been completely tolerable. I was pleasantly surprised. The kids were even on their best behavior for 24 hours before going bonkers tonight. And I was very selfish. I played the "it's my birthday, can't y'all please get along and mind?!" card tonight. 

If you made it to the end, congrats!  I should have posted more often and broken this in to multiple posts, but that medicine is not out of my system and I'm wide awake and mind is in overdrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment